The health and safety of our patients and staff are our top priorities. While the COVID‐19 pandemic has created numerous challenges and changes in the way we provide care, our mission to Discover, Teach, and Heal remains at the forefront of our patient-care philosophy.
We encourage you to read our COVID-19 update to learn more about the practical steps we are taking to ensure the health and safety of every person who visits our facilities.
Creating a Culture of Safety During COVID-19
The UCI Health Patient Safety & Quality Team has developed and implemented the following safety measures amid the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Daily staff screening: All staff members undergo a daily health screening before reporting to work.
- Procedural patient screening: All surgical and procedural patients will be screened for COVID‐19 before starting their procedures. Mandatory nasopharyngeal swab testing must be completed for all asymptomatic patients 48 hours prior to their procedures. The order for testing will be placed by the surgeon or physician performing the procedure. For procedures that are performed on Monday, screenings will occur on Sunday, 24 hours prior to the procedure.
- “Code Clean” routine cleanings: High-touch surfaces will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected twice daily, using hospital-approved disinfectant. High-touch surfaces include frequently-touched areas such as keyboards, office phones, desks, counters, chairs, light switches, door handles and equipment used between multiple patients. Personal items included in Code Clean protocols include stethoscopes, badges, cell phones, pagers, i-pads, and other electronic devices.
- Speak up for each other: We’re all in this together. We encourage you to speak up when you see an opportunity to create a safer environment. This can include suggestions for how to properly wear personal protective equipment (PPE), or reminders about hand hygiene or equipment cleaning.
- Environmental Infection Protection (EIP) Team: The Environmental Infection Protection team has worked diligently to address questions about environmental transmission and safe PPE practices. During this time, the EIP team has conducted conference calls/town halls, and performed numerous rounds in COVID-19 cohorted units, as well as non‐COVID units.
- Face Shields: Implementation of use of face shields developed through a partnership with UCI Beall Applied Innovation.
Universal Masking Policy
In accordance with CDC guidelines, UCI Health has instituted a mandatory universal masking policy. Every person entering UCI Health premises, including healthcare personnel, patients, and visitors, should wear a mask at all times, regardless of symptoms.
All staff and healthcare providers are required to wear their own community cloth face masks when entering UCI Health premises. Staff whose job duties do not require patient care masks will wear community cloth masks while on UCI Health premises. Direct patient care providers must change from a community cloth mask to a UCI Health patient care regular mask when performing patient care duties.
- Non-direct patient care providers: Community cloth masks will be worn on arriving and leaving UCI Health, and continuously through the day.
- Direct patient care providers: Community cloth masks will be worn on arriving and leaving UCI Health. These masks will also be worn in non-patient care areas, during administrative time, and during breaks. Direct patient care providers may wear a UCI Health patient care mask continuously in patient care areas or during patient care duties.
Additional Safety Measures
Universal masking prevents transmission through coughing, sneezing, or loud voices/singing from someone who is ill. It also prevents droplets of an ill person from reaching your nose or mouth.
However, universal masking does not replace the need for:
- Social distancing: Maintain a distance of 6 feet from others whenever possible.
- Hand hygiene: Wash your hands before and after touching or readjusting your mask.
- Clean environment: Items and surfaces must be cleaned in case of contamination from prior use.
Contact Us Today
Thank you for your continued trust in UCI Plastic Surgery. Together, we can ensure you receive the important care you need in a safe, healthy, and positive environment.