If you’re thinking about having a breast augmentation done, you’ve probably wondered about the recovery time. Will you need to take time off of work? How long before you can resume exercise and daily activities?
Luckily, breast augmentation recovery tends to be fairly easy for most patients. You shouldn’t have to miss more than a day or two of work (if you can have your surgery done over a long weekend, you may not need to miss any). Regular activities and light exercise can be resumed pretty quickly as well, although it’s important to take it easy and not over-exert yourself.
If you are interested in breast augmentation, call UCI Plastic Surgery today at 714-456-3077 to schedule your initial consultation. We will be happy to answer any questions you have.
Timeline for Breast Augmentation Recovery
Each patient is different, and will have a slightly different healing experience. That being said, on average, the timeline for breast augmentation recovery looks something like this:
- First 48 hours: Rest and relax at home. Take prescribed pain medication as needed. It’s best to have some help around the house so you don’t have to do any heavy lifting.
- First week: Return to work if you have an office job that doesn’t require strenuous activity. Your breasts will be swollen and there may still be bruising; this is normal.
- Second week: Resume light exercise, avoiding anything that may aggravate your breasts such as running or squatting with a bar. Avoid swimming or baths until your doctor gives you the okay. Immersing your breasts in still water may cause infection.
Swelling from a breast augmentation can last for a long time, and may cause your breasts to look uneven. This is normal and nothing to be worried about. It can take up to 3 months before you see your final results, so don’t be alarmed if your breasts don’t appear to be dropping as fast as you’d like.
Tips for a Fast and Easy Breast Augmentation Recovery
There are some things you can do to help your recovery go well. These include:
- Follow your doctor’s post-op instructions to the letter
- If you notice anything that seems wrong or if you have any questions, call your surgeon as soon as you can
- Don’t push yourself too hard
- Eat a healthy diet and make sure to drink lots of water
One of the biggest mistakes people make after breast augmentation surgery is pushing themselves too hard too fast. It’s important to get enough rest so that your body can heal properly. Even if you feel fine, don’t jump straight back into an intense exercise regimen or go run a 5k. Light walking and exercise is good, but listen to your body and don’t push yourself past your limits.
Each surgeon will have their own particular set of instructions for your post-op recovery, so make sure to listen to them. Their recommendations are based on years of knowledge and experience, and are the most important part of a good recovery.
Schedule Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
Breast augmentation is one of the most rewarding plastic surgery procedures we offer. If you are interested in enhancing the size and shape of your breasts, please call UCI Plastic Surgery at 714-456-3077 to schedule your consultation today.
We serve patients in Orange, Costa Mesa, and Tustin, CA.